Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fixin' a Hole (Lennon/McCartney)

Friday materials were delivered for the roofing project. Saturday Rob's cousin R.J. and his buddy J.J. and Uncle Rick showed up bright and early to get to work. We were blessed to have R.J.'s help since he does roofing for a living. He hooked us up with an awesome deal on materials and does great work. EVERYBODY worked, from Grandpa Wendell to Fox, Ben and Ethan. Cousin Paul & Don showed up to help and later in the day cousin Karl lent a hand and Alex's boyfriend Caleb also. Gramma Genny came out to work her magic with the grill and Alex was her lunchtime helper.
While the older Parton boy cousins were working on the roof the boys and I headed out for a combo birthday party with some cousins on my side. My cousins Amy and Elizabeth celebrated their kids' birthdays together. Mallory turned one, and Josh is five. I boogied my way down to the farm where Amy lives, a beautiful place off the end of Mead Rd., listening to Anne Delise's Dance Party on WDET. She was spinning some classic '80s stuff from Inner City, Bee Gees, Yaz, and the like. They had quite a turnout and there were more kids there than I expected. I snuck in some hugs and giggles with Mallory before too many people showed up and got plenty of Evan snuggles (even gave him a bottle). Didn't get to love on Elijah though, he's another one of our littles ones and is pretty shy still. But I know his dad, that won't last long. (Shout out to Emil!) Ben and Ethan had a ball in the bounce house and playing with the other kids. Fox being the oldest kid there spent most of the time with his nose in a book. He's engrossed in 'Flowers for Algernon' ever read it? It's good.

A bonus for the day was seeing my old buddy from high school, Debba. She was up from Atlanta to show her fiancee Dennis around her old stomping grounds. For simplicity's sake I invited her over to crash the party (as my Alex and Rob fill-ins) and thankfully my cousins are the best and went with the flow. Actually, Amy hit a few graduation parties with Deb and I in the day but I'll save that for another blog. I called to check on the crew at the house before I headed back to see if they needed anything, apparently they were on a break in the garage due to a sudden downpour. It didn't last too long however and they got back to work. On the way home I caught another fantabulous WDET show, Rev. Robert Jones' Gospel Show, oh yeah! By the time I arrived back at the house they had the roof wrapped, although it is still a mess out there. That will be my job tomorrow, the final clean-up, with my ultimate three-boy crew.

No comments: