Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekly Walk #5

This week after church Ethan and I met up with Rob and Ben over at the Water Tower Park off I-24 in Lapeer. It was beautiful, sunny, warm day and the joint was jumpin’! Baseball teams were practicing; people were playing tennis, having some lunch, kids had fun on the playscape and people of all ages hit the trail on foot, by bike, or scooter. But yet it didn’t feel crowded a bit. We noticed a lot of dead fish around, the big guys were carp which can be very invasive and predatorial. Rob’s theory was the DNR probably killed them off so other types of fish can be brought in. Ironic, because in Italy guys would pay big money to catch carp and here we don’t think much of them at all. The geese were out making a major honk of the day and a couple ducks hid among the rushes. The boys had a ball being imaginative with the pampas grass, using it to represent noble status, as paint brushes, swords and other kooky stuff. Rob and Ethan had to skip a few stones of course.

Benjamin took the shot of Rob and I as you can see by our faces not knowing if he knew how to work the camera. I asked him to try and get the water tower in the background and he certainly did that!

The kids are always taking these MySpace pictures of themselves with things in the background so I thought I’d try it, as you can see bottom right. I did about four shots and this one was actually kinda cool. It’s really all hit and miss.

I am getting a sort of zen experience from taking pictures on our walks. I take many more than I post as one would expect. It’s really fun to go through and put them together as a collage, it’s sort of like scrapbooking to me. I like seeing the walk in a collection instead of just individual shots and also how the colors of the various shots blend together. Oooo. Aaahh.

While we were walking Alex was home in bed healing from her pox and Fox was hanging out with a boy from band class who also plays trumpet and agreed to help him get caught up. They live very close to us. One of Derek’s brother’s was on Ben’s soccer team before and his other brother is in the 2nd grade same as Ethan. They also have one sister but she is the youngest in the family. When I went to pick Fox up after our walk and met the mom and the other boys, she invited Ben and Ethan to stay and play for a while so they stayed for a few more hours until supper. Nice boys. Good times.

Adam, Fox, Derek, and Luke

1 comment:

Lisa said...

'Twas a GORGEOUS day! Glad you were able to get outside and enjoy it!