Thursday, March 05, 2009

Final Project for Intro Art 3D


This is Alex's final project for her Intro Art 3D Class. I must admit it is one of the most inspired projects she has created in some time. Really she hasn't worked this hard on anything art related since we'd been involved with 4-H. Lately my husband and I have been having many issues with Alex regarding a lack of appropriate administration and organization of school assignments thereby resulting in unacceptable progress reports. I realized that part of her failing in this area is definately my fault. Although I oversaw her education for many years at home, once she went into school I did not keep track of her and help set good habits in terms of making sure teachers had indeed received her work and given her credit for it, or guiding her in developing beneficial study habits. She was pretty much left to fend for herself and although she is a very intelligent girl overall, knowing how to study and organize for some people are traits that need to be aquired and then exercised regularly. But honestly at the point where she chose to enter public school I think she had had enough of working with Mom if you know what I mean. She was just done receiving from me and ready to branch out on her own. Perhaps now we both see the forest for the trees and can begin to work in tandem once again. For those of you who have teenagers sometimes you just have to be grateful that they still take time to have a conversation with you because in their hormone-raged minds we don't know squat. As it gets closer to college visits and applying to schools Alex is acknowledging the impending doom of the low GPA. Hers has not been moving in the right direction as the trimesters chug along and admits that it is essentially her own responsibility to ammend it. Thankfully there is still time for redemption and I am hopeful as I begin this adventure with the boys I can also become a better public school parent for Alexandra as well. Just because they are no longer schooling at home doesn't mean my work is done, just shifted. That has been my lesson to learn. Peace to all!

No comments: