Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Getting Our Groove On

Well we are finally getting our gardening groove on, winning back the lawn after not having a means to mow and the grass becoming literally up to my chest in areas. Between weed wacking, my neighbor coming through some sections with his brush hog and my father-in-law generously finding and purchasing a tractor on Craigslist we have it almost under control again. The kids have been raking fools and we've used the clippings to put down between the veggies to keep weeds down. Put it on thick-it works! Tuesday night while Alex took Ethan up to his ball game and Fox went up to town with them to hang at the library, Benjamin and I got to planting. We put in Kentucky pole beans, bush beans, black beans, zucchini, summer squash, luminaria pumpkins, and fancy guords from seeds; then peppers, tomatos, dill and french lavender plants plus some red onions that my mother in-law had left over. Ethan reported that he got a home run, socked a low ball right out of there! I've seen him do it but not in a game. Awesome.

Monday we also got our summer over to a good start by getting in a 6 mile bike ride on the Macomb Orchard Trail in between rain storms. The legs were a little woobly but it felt good to ride. We took the bikes down in the truck to leave at my in-laws in Rochester because we can pick up a lot of the trails near their house and right now since we don't have a van I can't transport all four of our bikes at one time.

Tuesday I took Fox up for his sports physical so he can participate in cross country in the Fall and he was blessed with his first hernia exam. I did warn him before we went that the doctor may do the 'turn-your-head-and-cough' procedure but I wasn't sure. So at least he wasn't totally shocked. He survived and came home to report to Ben and Ethan about it. Too funny!

Today we're off to visit my new mom cousin and baby Evan before we head into Rochester for gymnastics.

Below are a few of my favorite finds from Care and Share:

25 yards of decorative border



(I feel a bathroom makeover coming on!)




This cute table lamp










a pair of excellent condition Fila cross trainers





and my favorite find of the year....


these super cute Candies! Looks like they were never worn. I tested them out Sunday and they're even comfortable. Definately a keeper!

2 comments:

MICHELE said...

oooooh-la-la! Love the shoes!! And, Fila's. And, the lamp!

Your garden sounds awesome!

Miss you!
Mich.

Lisa said...

Great finds!