Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rich Brother Rich Sister


Rich Brother Rich Sister: Two Different Paths to God, Money and Happiness
Robert Kiyosaki and Emi Kiyosaki (Venerable Tenzin Kacho, ordained by His Holiness the Dalai Lama)
Vanguard Books 2009
978-159315-493-6

Wow. I finally finished this power packed book. It really made me think about my spiritual and emotional mindset as I search for my true career calling. Robert began his independent life as a military man then went into the world of capitalism but never found true satisfaction until he acheived a grounded spiritual path. His sister Kim followed a spirit calling and became a Buddhist monk but still did not feel completely effective until she put things in place that gave her financial security instead of depending on others for all her needs. Kim points out “At the same time as there are wars over boundaries of countries, there are wars inside of each of us, every day. I believe that these internal struggles are centered around our faults and delusions—those mental acrobatics that prevent us from finding peace and living the good life, however you choose to define it.” (Venerable Tenzin Kacho) I do feel that the greatest obstacle that holds me back is my own internal struggles about my worth and what seems to me as a 'legitimate' means of gaining income. Recently I went for a job purely to be receiving a regular check even though I knew in my heart I probably wouldn't enjoy it long term. The position was not offered to me but I know it's because it was not really meant to be mine.

Later Robert explains: “Since your gift is a gift from god or a higher power, it is essential to deliver it with the highest degree of personal integrity and character. Over the years, I have personally experienced my gift being diminished when I allowed my character flaws to overpower my character. I found that if I wanted to improve the returns on my life, I needed to improve my personal character by not letting my character flaws cancel out my character strengths.” I'm still mulling this one over. Pastor Rick at the church I attend says character is what you do when no one is looking not how you act when you're out in front of people. In this area I must admit I am two different people, not that I'm one bad and one good but I definately operate through a dual persona. Kim compliments this view by explaining the Buddist practice: In all my actions I will examine my mind, and the moment a disturbing attitude arises, I will firmly confront and avert it. This is hard to admit but pertaining to this practice I probably need a lot more confrontation within my own character.

Dr. R. Buckminister Fuller says “good and bad are meaningless,” and Robert expands upon that by saying “…all things-good and bad-are blessings. Our lives are continual crucifixions, resurrections, evolutions, and reformations, and each of these is as vital to life as food, waters, sun, and exercise. If one of the four is missing, existence is incomplete.” We're always trying to define situations as good and bad in our life especially when we're young and just having full responsibility for our lives it seems that every little speed bump along the way can feel devastating to some extent but as the years roll on and you go through more experiences little hurdles don't seem to have as much impact. You deal with things come what may having confidence that all will work out.

After losing literally millions of dollars Robert and his wife went through a period of being broke and homeless, going back to square one to decide what god wanted them to be involved in for their next business. “Instead of focusing only on making myself rich, I began focusing on building a business that made everyone richer. And that is what I do today. It’s why I have good fortune and financial success.” He advises that to find what you will excel at first decide what do you love to do so much that you would do it for free. This is the direction you will be most successful in. He also explains that to get what you want you must first give it. If you want to receive money, you must give money. If you want respect, give respect, etc.

One thing that holds many people back, myself included is fear of unfamilar territory or learning something totally new. But it is important to remember, Fear means new opportunities. ‘Whenever you feel fear, it may mean you are approaching the boundary of what you know and what you do not know. If you back down or step back, your growing stops because learning stops. Fear gives us the opportunity to test our spirits. Fear gives all of us the opportunity to grow stronger or grow weaker.”

No comments: