Tuesday, August 30, 2011

1 Week til FREEDOM




I have really been relishing these last days of my summer but am looking forward to having the boys occupied by school endeavors once again. If I hear the word 'bored' one more time I don't know exactly what I'll do. You'd think with 11 acres to explore and shelves of toys to build with and games to play they'd never have a dull moment but yet.....
--

Sunday Ben and Ethan accompanied me on another bike outing, this time we started in Leonard on the Polly Ann Trail and went all the way to Oxford and back. If we rode some sidewalks or dirt roads a bit south we could hook up with the Paint Creek Trail and then to the Clinton River Trail or Macomb Orchard Trail. Someday we'd like to make an all day adventure of it and ride the whole route, not sure if it will happen this year. The day was clear and comfortable, although I had my camera the batteries had died so I didn't take any pictures which is fine, without it I am able to stay more "in the moment" and just enjoy the experience. The boys always make me laugh and we also get into some philosophical discussions along the way as well. I genuinely enjoy spending time with them and I know that too soon they will be grown and gone so I am savoring every moment.



After haircuts (and color for me) with the "Best Stylist Ever!" we made a spontaneous trip to the Detroit Zoo. My mother kept yearly memberships with three organizations: the Zoo, the Detroit Institute of Arts, and Greenfield Village/Museum, in memory of her birthday coming up I purchased a family membership, as we made our way around happy thoughts of our visits there kept coming to my mind, the stroller days, the train ride enthusiasm, the winter visit for Ben's birthday one year, sneaking and peeking in the back building at the baby giraffe that was still sequestered, and the conversations about various animal husbandry as mother was always a wealth of knowledge and loved to share with the kids and get their thoughts on things. Dinosauria was in its final days so we perused through there as well.


Who's that little prairie dog? Fox found a friend in the butterfly house.



Fox participated in his first high school cross-country meet and did amazingly well making the jump to a 3-mile race. He placed 12th (medals were given to the top 15) and had a finish time of 21:11. The second meet was much bigger with a ton more runners, he said his ankle was bothering him a little he had a decent time but didn't medal. This week they'll run in Brown City and I will attend with camera at the ready! He picked up his Freshman schedule: AP Prep English, AP History, Intro Physics, Intro Chemistry, Health, Phys. Ed., Geometry, Current Events, Woodworking I, Intro Business, and Critical Reading & Writing. This is over three trimesters mind you but looks like a challenging but fun year is ahead for him. He's also interested in joining Model U.N. but has emphatically refused to participate in Forensics again. Ugh. I tried.

My beloved daughter and oldest child has finally flown the coop. She has moved into an apartment with friends halfway between where she works and goes to school, with my blessing. They are not charging her much to share the place, the location is ideal, and she really wanted to branch out on her own but is not into experiencing dormitory life. So be it. Her schedule is complete and financial aid in place so for the fall semester she'll be delving into Intermediate Guitar, retaking Intro Theater (part of the GPA clean-up plan), Music Appreciation, Digital Photography, and Interpersonal Multi-Cultural Communications. Wow, sounds like an enjoyable schedule. As incentive to make school a priority Rob and I proposed that if she got nothing less than a 3.5 we'd forgive her car insurance payments for the winter semester. She was all about that! Now that she's paying more of her own bills she definitely knows a good deal when she hears one. Getting her own cell phone plan was a slap of reality for her when they required a $150 deposit because she has no established credit.....she went with a pay-as-you-go plan.



Robert is on his third week in a new job, closer to home which allows him to return home every night whereas before he stayed in an "apartment" at the shop during the week and was only home on weekends. This new position also has much more opportunity for advancement, profit-sharing, 401K plan, and a medical/dental/vision plan. Hallelujah! Neither Rob or I has had medical insurance for many years so this is a real blessing. I haven't seen a doctor since I walked out of the hospital 10 years ago after delivering Ethan. Thankfully I am a healthy individual and haven't had need for doctors but it's nice to know I'll now be able to have a once-over just to confirm all is well. Rob definitely has some issues that need to be addressed so I'm sure he'll be taking advantage of all the services offered.



My second motherless summer has brought a new sense of peace about being "on my own." Exercise, yoga, meditation, and inspirational readings have been a great help to keeping things in perspective. I am so grateful for my mundane little life, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no major upheaval. Learning to appreciate each moment as it comes and release expectations has made a big difference, don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't have any goals or aspirations but I'll get there, when I get there and that's just fine. Who knows what tomorrow holds....I'm just living today, today.

No comments: