Friday, August 19, 2011

X + Y = Zen






We set out on a gorgeous day with perfect, end of the summer Michigan weather, what I technically refer to as not-to-hot-not-to-cold. The sky was clear, there was a slight breeze, the air was full of delicious smells; fresh cut grass, brush burning, wildflowers, grilling. Our goal was to forge the Paint Creek Trail, starting at the Rochester Hills Public Library and heading toward Lake Orion. If we made it all the way it would be 8.9 miles. Ben, Ethan and I were on bikes while Fox took the time to get his daily run in. We all started out together, Fox running along rhythmically, the rest of us cruising by the fields of Joe Pye Weed, Queen Anne's Lace, golden rod, and swamp bamboo (I don't know the real name, that's just what it looks like to me). There weren't many on the trail, we stayed together for a while, I gave Fox a 3-mile heads up (using my handy dandy odometer) and whizzed past him to catch up with the little guys. When biking with kids I try not to set any mile goals, on the Paint Creek you've got cross roads every mile or two so we can decide whether to continue or turn it back around.

First photo stop. Playing around with sun placement.
















the teenager was too cool to be snapped today.
you may have noticed in the other photo i had to keep him in dappled shade so as not to be recognizable....







Second photo stop.




Victory is ours....let's go all the way was the concensus at every cross road so we kept the wheels a-rollin' except for to quench yer thirst, or just have a break to act like a big hambone!





We had several deer sightings throughout the ride, staying for a while to admire this one that was just helping itself in someone's backyard garden. A fairly large doe wandered right out onto the path and crossed between us and Fox.

Pulling into the CVS parking lot in Lake Orion the feeling of victory was in the air. The boys ate the rest of their lunch by the bikes while I ran in for some more cold water and an energy bar. Now that I'm in the flow of riding more I'm trying to resist rewarding myself with ice cream, it's really tough on beautiful days like these. But I was a good girl, energy bar only. I'm also limiting my Starbucks Peppermint Mochas: 1 every 3 weeks, instead of 3-4 a week! Yikes.



The boys groaned as we began to set off for the row back "now we have to ride all the way back." (add a little bit of whine when you say it). No worries, I assured them, "it's always faster going back." As we made the return we crossed paths with Fox again who was now just walking. He made it up to Adams Rd. and then had turned around. When we pedaled a while past him Ben realized how close we were to the park and exclaimed "man, it is faster going back!" "Didn't I tell ya!"







Fox was now moving at a far slower pace so we had time to rest those tootsies in a sweet shallow creek. Ethan made no hesitation, pulled his socks and shoes off and waded on in.












Ben, however, was a bit reserved about the whole experience. I knew he was dying to, but this is a kid who will not take his socks and shoes off if anyone is around because people might see his feet! Still haven't got a full explanation from him of why it bothers him so....





However with maturity comes boldness and when I turned around after oogling over some ducks and taking a few snaps, he threw caution to the wind and took the hard way (over the rocks instead of the sandy beach) in. Don't you love the umbrella in the background.

Pokey, McPokester finally meandered his way to the end of the trail and I loaded the bikes on the rack while the boys ran into the library for a pit stop and water refill. We made it. Over 20 miles logged, from trail to tooling around the park. Good times. Very relaxed, not on a schedule. We averaged about 8.2 miles an hour, I kept it on low gears the whole trip. It didn't feel like much of workout but my thigh muscles gave me what for later in the evening! I took an Aleve, put some Tiger Balm on, went to sleep; good as new in the morning. It must not have been too much of a push for the boys either, Fox went out for another walk on the property that evening plus Ben and Ethan had soccer practice and didn't miss a kick. Guess we'll just need to up the anti next time (nudge, nudge). I did get in a good ride around Imlay City while the boys were at practice last night. I only did 8 miles but for the start of the ride I kept it in a high hard gear and then toward the end of the ride I took some long incline stretches and finally had to pop it to lower gears. Felt like a good work out on that run.


Hhmmmm, where else can I venture with my beautiful blue bicycle........???

No comments: