Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall Festival Fun


The third week of school went off without much incident other than Ethan had a couple reprimands, nothing to serious, the worst punishment was he had to stay in from recess one day because he and another boy were throwing rocks out in the open field behind the playground. No meets for Fox. Ben had soccer pictures one day and a game on Thursday which they got clobbered in; it will be really good for them to get busy during practices this week and work some kinks out. Saturday we had planned to do another nine holes at Maple Springs but it was cold and windy and when we got to the course they were closed! So, plan B went into effect which turned out to be a great time. We (me, the boys & Grandpa Q) headed over to Past Tense, an apple orchard and gift shop which I had never been to in the 12 years I've lived in the area. Shame on me. They were having their Fall Festival which included some basic carnival games, giant slide, hay rides, a haunted house, corn maze, etc. We were excited to still get in a little golf on their 9-hole putt putt course!

This was a really cool set up for Ben, future putt putt designer of America, to see since he's always trying to set up courses on our property much to my chagrin since they are not the easiest things to mow around and I find parts with the tractor. So these 'portable' holes were pretty ingenius.After golf we headed back to the corn maze (sorry no pix, just picture big tall corn and us wandering around aimlessly). For the first 40 minutes we divided to conquer eventually starting to mark symbols on the ground to note paths that were dead ends or that we'd tried before. Our effort was to no avail since we found ourselves at the start again! However, we had a no fail attitude and ventured back in again, with a little hint from the ticket taker, and in 20 minutes we victoriously arrived at the designated exit. Fun time and we got some exercise in. Next, we headed into the restaurant for some lunch and I picked up the traditional cider and donuts to have back at the homestead.
While I went and puttered around in the gift shops the boys got busy on some more carnival games and went down the big slide, and I mean ALL the boys big and small. When we met up again I could hardly believe all the game prize booty they acquired. Being it was the first time I had ever ventured through the shop there I felt I was in the corn maze again, it was huge, with various holiday theme rooms, garden stuff, plus every type and color of fake flower known to man; I had to ask for directions to find the front door again! The antiques shop was interesting as well and the loose leaf teas smelled fabulous, I almost purchased a couple flavors but decided to hold off for now.

Dad followed me back to the house where we dropped off the boys. I wolfed down a cinnamon donut and some cider then he gave me a ride down to my in-laws where I picked up our new/used Astro van!!! Yes! After three weeks of being down a vehicle and having to run Alex to work and classes and all the boys activities and mine it will be nice to finally have Alex able to get herself around independently again.
Another amazing development is this is my first post from my own home on our new hi-speed Internet! Woot! We finally made the jump to Hughes Net which is really the only option I have for my area. Rob already had a router and Sunday after church I picked up a wireless USB adapter for the boys' computer and they are up and rununing which makes them happy beyond belief. We're finally living like the real world, no more dial-up.
--
I've also had a few new opportunties come my way but things are still in the works so no details yet just know good things are happening. Fox has two meets this week in Caro and Marlette. Ben just has practices with a game on Saturday. I'll be diligently working on my current editing project and subbing on Friday in the Ruth Fox building (I finally grabbed a job). Alex has been working almost 30 hours a week plus going to class; she says they're all pretty decent and the Algebra class is "super easy" so far. That was the one she dreaded the most. She's talked about definatly transferring out for next Fall but I'll believe it when she actually gets the ball in motion. Right now it's time for me to learn to let go of the reins, step back and give her the space to fail or achieve on her own. If she asks for my assistance I will certainly comply but I will not be the force to get things going initially, that she'll have to put into effect herself. For a fomer homeschooling mom used to orchestrating many educational endeavors on behalf of her children this is a very challenging task. God give me the grace!
--
* All photos except for the Astro van compliments of Dad with his new Droid phone. Thx!

No comments: