Monday, September 20, 2010

Meets and Greets

Last Monday was the North Branch Home meet and again Fox held his own coming in 6th place out of 26 junior high boy runners. He's was talking about feeling a little sore in his legs this week but nothing too major. This weekend he took it easy and walked his regular trail route instead of run. We are all experienceing sore throat and coughs thanks to the kids entering the public school peitry dish. I seem to remember this happening last year also, Ethan started it, then it hit Ben and Fox, and lastly me, Rob and Alex. Tuesday was the Birch Run meet, there were only 2 teams running junior high, not medals were given out since it was more a high school meet than junior.
Saturday I got to watch Ben's soccer game and it was a good one. All morning it rained on and off but when it came time for their game at noon the sky cleared up and we all used our umbrellas to guard from the sun rather than the rain. Ben wasn't 100% since he was fighting sickness but he did manage to kick one goal in although it didn't count because a player was off sides.

Following in the anti-retail attitude of my BFF Michelle I have been finding some great deals at local thrift shops. With Fox growing as fast as he is I hate to pay full price for something he'll probably only get to wear a few times. At out Thrift Shop in town they had $1 bag days going on. I got Fox 2 practically new pair of jeans that fit great, and 2 pairs of chino style casual dress pants in navy blue and beige. Plus a pair of pants for Ethan and a cute summer suit jacket.

Had my first practice with the Lapeer Community Chorus this week. Their new director is excellent, with great exercises, very organized rehearsal, kind, encouraging and funny; all the best ingredients for a choir director. I need to get my chops back for the 2 hour rehearsals, I'm used to having kids for 30 minutes to an hour only. I forgot the big people really get the most out of their one time a week together. Still debating whether I'll make it tonight because my voice is not great with this sore throat thing. Pout.


People have been asking me lately if I miss homeschooling. I can honestly say no, I don't. It was time to make the move not just for myself but for all the kids as well. They enjoy pursuing things on their own and reporting back to me at the end of the day. I enjoy having time to myself during the day without policing them plus I've been getting more new opportunities since my time is freed up from schooling them. Friday I got to sub as a secretary at Quest High School which was cool. All the boys were glad they had time at home to school and be with me but they really like being around 'their own kind' for daily lessons too.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I've got to know more about the thrift store up your way! Details? Did you enjoy the Carol Burnett book?

So glad Ben is on the team with James.

~Byn There said...

It's right on M-90, not really high end stuff but you can find some good items if you have the time to look. Loved the Carol Burnett book and to hear her tell it.

James is a great player I enjoy watching him. This is a great 'diamond in the rough' group, I think by spring they'll be really kickin'!! Pun intended.

~Byn There said...
This comment has been removed by the author.