Thursday, September 02, 2010

Ready, Get Set ...


We are getting closer to the start of another academic year! Yesterday all the boys got their back-to-school haircuts from the best stylist ever!! All three opted against the buzz cut this time and Ethan is planning to grow his hair out this year until his bangs cover his eyes. Can you say skater boy? This is a rather popular style in the schools.

Tuesday night we had open houses in the upper elementary (Ben) and middle school (Fox). Ben was soooo excited he couldn't stop talking and asking me questions about everything. He was successful in working the combination and getting his locker open and knows several kids in his home room from his class last year. Fifth grade is run in teams and Ben is on a three teacher team, his home room teacher Mrs. Rogers seems top-notch and I'm looking forward to working with her as well as Mr. Lewis and Mrs. Goldstein. Ben will also start playing drums with the 5th grade band which he is excited about but even more so about eventually playing in the marching band when he gets to high school. Ben and Fox will ride the bus in together this year with a bright and early 7am pick-up time. Wooooootttt. (Yawn) But the upside is they'll both be done by 2:35pm. Fox pretty much did his rounds by himself. He found all his classes, saw who his teachers are and picked up whatever materials they had available in the class then met up with us at the upper el. His schedule is pretty standard other than he's got Algebra instead of Math 8, he's also sticking with band through middle school. The only change is he's going to check into adding an extra history elective and dropping Art2 but we're not sure if it is offered at the same time. He can deal with that once school starts. Cross-country practices are well underway with the first meet in Bad Axe next Saturday which will also be the day of Ben's first soccer game. Divide and conquer!

After haircuts the boys and I headed over to my mom's house to pull a few more perennials. Things looked rather sad even though the neighbor across the street has tried to keep up on it; bless her heart. The neighbor behind however made sure to come over and voice her discontent with how things looked commenting "your mother is probably rolling over in her grave". It was all I could do to walk away and not b*tch slap her. Honestly other than the grass being a bit burnt from lack of water and the plants a little dry it wasn't as dismal as I imagined. All the plants I brought to my house are thriving and we had more butterflies than I could count this year due to the two buddleia bushes I aquired. Very cool. I'm anticipating having a renewed energy toward my gardens next summer and hope to get them back in shape. This year it was all I could do just to get through each day.

I am humbled, honored, and excited to anounce another new assignment I've been blessed with, director of a new praise & worship choir at church; deemed the Halellujah Chorus. It will be a united vocal group that supports the existing praise & worship teams on select Sundays as well as ministering special music on occasion. Practices will begin mid-September. The upper elementary principal has also confirmed me for Choice Time choir on Friday afternoons which will begin in October AND I will be working with my kids at church on Wednesday nights to prepare "a kids Christmas musical of hope" entitled "Star of Wonder". Our kick off party will be the first Wednesday in October and we'll minister the program December 15. Look for updates right here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Friend,

I enjoyed reading the boy's schedule. I can't believe how much Fox as grown!

What a nasty,heartless comment made by your mom's neighbor. It takes all kinds, doesn't it?

Thanks again for my goodie bag-- you dropped off last week.

Miss you- Mich