Thursday, December 03, 2009

Artwork by Fox

Happy December everyone! It doesn't seem possible that we should already be in the last month of the year, at least the weather has been acting more spring-like than winter-ish (except for this afternoon that is). This week I was blessed to get 2 full days and a half day substituting. Wednesday I was in the Junior High special education room, that actually served 5th, 6th and 7th graders. They were a decent bunch and the teacher aide was great, we really had a good day. I also had the daughter of Fox's Cross Country coach in there for a little bit, we had some nice conversations. There are only 2 boys that stay in the room the entire day, the rest rotated in and out from their regular classrooms. This morning I picked up an afternoon gig in a 1st grade room, before leaving the house I grabbed a few of my favorite picture books to read just in case we had down time. Oddly enough when I arrived and spoke with the teacher briefly before she headed out she said that Writing Workshop was first, starting with reading a book to them. "Oh, I just happened to bring a few of my favorites with me today," I said. "Perfect" she replied, "I was just thinking I should pull something for you to use." We got through everything but I'll admit this was not one of my favorite groups to work with. They were quite talkative, even while working on assignments and major tattletales (a pet peeve of mine). When I took them down to Art class I passed Ethan's class going in for gym, all the kids were calling out to me "Hi, Ms. Robyn, see you tomorrow!" Hopefully all will go well in their 3rd grade class tomorrow. I think if I taught regularly I would like 3rd grade. They are mature enough to act accordingly but young enough to still have some silly fun with.

These art pieces are my favorites from Fox's 1st Trimester Art Portfolio, a kooky collage, paper weaving, and Cross-Link creatures. Although I haven't gotten Fox and Alex's official report cards yet I did check their final grades online, Fox received an A in everything except for Math and SeminAR which he got an A+ in. Alex ended up with a B average but the final grades were sort of a bummer, two As and two C+s, wish she could have squeaked those up to a B- at least. I know because of the play being in final production and performance she really didn't make the effort she should have to do a last week of the trimester follow up with her teachers to make sure they had grades for everything she allegedly turned in. Hopefully a good grade in her college class will help bring the GPA up a bit.

Things have been getting a little weird with my mother and her 'condition.' She was having pain in her back and ended up with a pain patch (morphine I believe) and on Vicodin, this has not helped her mental or emotional state. Now they have her on Methadone to wean her off the pain meds before they do the vertebrae reconstruction procedure (spinal cement they refer to it as) to build up the deteriorated bones so they're not pressing on the nerves anymore. The procedure is at the end of next week, let's pray it goes smoothly and is successful in restoring her 'temple'.


Rob has been down in North Carolina all week (his second trip in 3 weeks) to fix a machine that was not repaired correctly in the first place. Unfortunately it was one of his company's employees that messed things up originally so this was a lose money venture when they started out, but the fates of favor turned in their direction so that he and another tech ended up getting extra work out of the company making the excursion 'in the black' opposed to 'in the red.' PTL

Monday the Direct TV was installed. The kids and I have been jonesing out to various shows. Monday I watched umpteen episodes of "Million Dollar Listings," Tuesday I got caught up in "ReDesign" and also I got to do a couple "Namasta Yoga" workouts, plus I'm recording some to do whenever I want. I just don't get the whole run-the-same-program-multiple-times-in-a-row deal, it's different episodes but the same show. Nice to have television though.

No comments: