Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Occasions to celebrate

Friday was my birthday, it was a good day, the boys gave me their homemade cards which are always a treat, I got some items for my van, a steering wheel cover and cup/stuff caddie. Dad and the boys even worked together to make a box for the caddie to sit on so it was up higher and easier to reach between the two front seats. I subbed in the upper elementary for a 5th grade teacher, it was crazy hat day. I had my Choice Time Choir practice and we are plugging away on our North Pole Rock & Roll Medley. I've been joking with my kids forever saying that I'm 29 whenever they ask how old I am. They're still a bit confused. This year I told Ben I was 39, and he exclaims "aha! then you're going to be 40!" "No, no you heard me wrong I said 35." Disbelief continues. Below is Benny and I with the cake he baked and did most of the decorating on, although the other kids had a little input as well. To keep the gag running they put 31 on my cake although I'll never tell the true number!


Friday evening I attended a wedding for a young adult couple from our church. They've known each other for several years and kept God in high esteem during their courtship, they even had to "break up" for a time while he attended The Honor Academy where your focus is purely on God and mission work and you're not allowed to be involved in any other relationships. As soon as he was released from his program there he asked her to marry him. It was so cute; when the pastor asked if anyone objected to this marriage all the groomsmen pulled out tiny sword daggers and pointed them at the crowd to keep 'em quiet. Of course we all bust out laughing. They had the best ceremonial walk-out I've seen to date, instead of the traditional music they used "Everybody Dance Now" and boogied down the aisle as did their wedding party of eight couples! The reception was a blast as well with much dancing and comraderie. I haven't laughed so much or so hard in a long time. It was a wonderful night and I pray their union to be forever blessed.
Saturday morning I headed up to Caro with Fox and Ethan for a huge cross-country meet; the last of the season. We got lucky during the high school and junior high race as the sky remained blue and the air clear. However the elementary runners were not so fortunate, just moments after the gun went off it began to rain but they all kept on like little troopers.
Coach Jason, with, what's that a smile? and his hard working junior team. Coach's son was there later to run the elementary race with Ethan also. Fox ended the season with his best 2 mile time ever a 12:42 and Ethan did great for his second ever 2 mile run. He set a goal to finish as close to 18 minutes as he could and killed that goal with an official finish of 15:35!

Here comes Ethan around the final soggy turn and heading into the home stretch. Although Ethan didn't offically medal in the race, Coach was very proud of all the kids and gave each a medal for a great effort. Fox although having his personal best time was just outside the top 20 for this race. Like I said it's a big one and these guys (and girls) can run!
--
One proud runner!
Sunday I attended church by myself as the kids stayed to clean house with dad and make a cake to have later when the rest of the Partons came over for a family portrait session with a professional photographer friend of mine who lives convieniently "around the corner." It was another good message and I am so grateful to have such a fabulous church family. We're not perfect, we're all works in progress but since I first started going there nearly eight years ago I've really gotten to know them, love them, appreciate them, and count on them in ways I hadn't realized until recently. My heart is continuing to heal since loosing mother and all that transpired during the final ordeal. I'm not feeling so angry and truely wish that my aunts, brother, sister-in-law and the like would have true peace in their hearts, health in their bodies, and joy in their lives. I know my future is ahead of me and there really isn't much reason to keep looking back for we all know what that brought unto Lot's wife! She looked back and lost her future. Amen. I'm coming to a better place with my teenager as well. She's making an effort to step up and take care of business; I'm loosening the reins and trying to accept her for who she is and not for who I think she should be. She's a good person, a talented young lady and a beautiful spirit. We've had some good chats over that last few days and I'm hopeful for what she's got on the horizon.
The cousins Parton looking sharp for some family portraits
on a gorgeous fall day!
I'm confident the professional's shots
will be much more appealing than our snapshots!
--


Sunday evening I went to the first meeting of the year for the North Branch Finish Line Swine with Benjamin. He's been buggin' me to raise a pig for several years. We've had many animals on the property including bunnies, chickens, sheep, mini-horses, pot-bellied pig, big horses, ducks, cats, and dogs but never a true swine! There is always a lot of business to cover at the first gathering, selecting officers (Ben is going to be a club photographer), discussing fundraisers, and explaining the educational forum for the year. For 2010/11 the club is going to work with The Heiffer Project and donate two pigs to the project, for the educational focus at each meeting a group of club members will give a presentation on the swine industry in a particular country such as how they're raised, used, which breeds, diseases that are a concern, income generated, specialty dishes, etc. Ben was a little overwhelmed with all the info but I'm excited. This is a long established club with good leaders and I'm looking forward to learning more myself. Over the weekend Rob and I will be volunteering at a local Haunted House for the club to earn money for its fund. Should be a screaming good time!
--
Monday I had my first productive practice with the Middle School Singers and another fabulous go with the North Branch Elementary Chorus that have started working on their third selection for the holiday program. Rejoice!

No comments: