Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's That Whirlwind Season

It is the clash of sports seasons for me right now with one boy in soccer, one in baseball and the other in track there is something game or practice-wise going on daily. Thankfully they are all a relatively short season, two are done by the end of May, the other lingers through to the end of June. Fox has been in a mood to dress up for school and has worn his suit in on a day when he didn't have track practice and has donned a dress shirt and tie on occassion as well. He is talking about running for class president next year. Hmmmm.


Last Thursday I got to chaperone Ethan's class field trip to the Sloan Museum in Flint. The program was an extension of their Michigan History unit and focused mainly on the logging industry. The kids worked on making their own log stamps from an eraser. It was a decent presentation overall but knowing what they've covered in class already it didn't really explore any new ground for them. I still vote Sarah Gardiner's Michigan History class the best around. All my older kids got to take her class while we were homeschooling. I may try and get Ethan in on it too if I hear about her doing one in the area again. This Thursday I get to accompany Fox's class on their trip to Grand Rapids. We'll be visiting the zoo, natural history museum, botanical gardens, and seeing an IMAX movie; hoping the weather will be nice.


Friday I attended a Mother's Day Tea in Ben's class where the kids all read a poem and also a Poetry Recital for Ethan's class. Everyone did a great job. After the poetry recital I had an opportunity to talk with one of the mom's who is on the school board. I've been contemplating running for a position that may be open for the November election. The only drawback is, if I am on the board I can not substitute teach any more. I can still volunteer and do my choirs but I can't work for the district, I could however, sub in other districts but that's not as fun.

And now for a little poetry break:

An acrostic poem by Ethan.
M akes a garden in the summer.
O ther people need her help.
T hinks of brilliant ideas.
H ates to fight with my sister.
E veryone in my class likes her as a substitute.
R eveals the truth.

Thank You Mom by Ben
Thank you, Mom.
Thank you, Mom.
For holding me tight in your arms.
You will always be there when I need you.
I'm sorry I get angry.
But you know I love you.
Thank you, Mom.
Thank you, Mom.

Ben is leaving his mark in the elementary school......

Each year Mr. Watson, the art teacher, makes a tree for the 4th Graders to leave their mark as they finish the year and prepare to make the move to the upper elementary. It is a very endearing concept that touches my heart. What a wonderful idea.


Alex's days are numbered; May 21st will be the last day of classes for seniors. She went to prom last weekend with some buddies from school who also happen to be a fledgling rock band she's now singing with. Didn't get a detailed report about the prom but from what I gathered it went well without much drama. The "band" has been getting together to practice but they aren't always very productive, which is pretty typical with young musicians (and even older ones for that matter). Perhaps they'll get it together enough to play a few songs at her Open House in August....we'll see. The last Thursday of this month I'll be heading to GVSU with her for Orientation where she'll get to register for classes, get her on-campus job assignment, and hopefully find out what dorm room she's in. Very exciting. Having a senior is a very stranger place to be in as a parent; part of you is sad about them leaving the nest and another part can't wait to get them out and not have to deal with the super-tude any more! Her commencement ceremony will be one of the hardest days for me, not having my mom there. But all the kids know how gramma felt about education and want to honor her by doing well in their studies. How blessed is that!


1 comment:

Texan Zombie Goddess said...

We are on the roller coaster too with Si and Nana in soccer and school plays and Stephanie now on the high school flag corp team and drama/choir work. The end of season can't get here fast enough lol.