Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Up Your Blog

It is during times of great trouble and tragedy you learn the most about a person's true character. As things have progressed with my mother's health I have come to find out many judgements and misconceptions some of my family have about me and it is truly disconcerting. Never in my life have I had more opportunity to be Christ-like, I am determined to continue to show the love to and for my mother and they can whip me, beat me, and tie me to a tree I will not enter the quagmire of vile they spew or return a verbal punch. My first reaction upon writing this is to defend myself, my life choices, my finances, my marriage, my husband, my kids, my relationship with my mother, but then I think, no. I have nothing to defend. My life may not be perfect but it is filled with love, grace, humility and tons of future potential. I have all that I need through His riches and glory.


Mother is still a constant source of amazement to me and I honestly enjoy being there to care for her. She has set a goal to "get stronger and get better." While others are quick to voice the reality the doctors have set forth I continue to stand in faith with her and rebuke any negative thought or word spoken about her condition. As it is written in Isaiah 53:4-5 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. Since I know Judi has claimed Jesus as her Savior, this power she has full entitlement to.



Today I was in a first grade class again, this time there were no major development issues to deal with just one boy with behavioral concerns. I'd been in this room before and did fine, today however I had to send behavior man to the office, something I try to avoid at all costs. The morning progressed without incident but after lunch, during Writing Workshop time when the children are supposed to write independently and quietly for 20 minutes, things got a tad bit too unfocused for my taste and I had to repeat myself too many times without results. So, the biggest culprit was removed from the class and the rest were instructed to copy some statements I wrote down and put up on the ELMO. "I will do my best. I will work quietly. I will follow directions. I will do my own work and not bother my neighbor." This was done in almost utter silence. They knew I was pushed as far as I was going to go. From there we progressed quietly, using whispers as people finished the dictated assignment, on to their math page for the day. Upon completion and review of the math I did allow them to have their Choice Time free play, snack, and watch a little "Kipper" I pulled from my Netflix Instant Movies. We finished the day with success and I can guarantee those students know not to mess around with Mrs. Parton. I love to have fun with the kids but we will get the work done, because that's what we're there for! Lately I've been getting much better at addressing the class with an authoritative voice that is not yelling, very effective.

Oh, and I pretty much lined up a job for myself when I'm ready for it.......

2 comments:

MICHELE said...

When you demonstrate Christ-like behavior... YOU will be at peace.

No need to make anyone wrong.
No words you'll regret.
No acts for which you'll be ashamed.

When I'm pushed against the wall.. which rarely happens to me anymore-since I practice Christ-like behavior.... I simply think.... FORGIVE THEM.. FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO. It's instant forgiveness.. then I can get about my business in a positive way.

Lord- let me be your hands and serve.

Lord- let me be your feet- and move me where I need to be.

Lord- be my voice and let me talk and guide with kindness, compassion, wisdom and grace.

God Bless YOU, my friend Robyn! And, your mom.

Love you to pieces...
Mich

~Byn There said...

Preach it girl! You are so right, a forgiving heart is worth more than millions and brings peace that surpasses all understanding. Mom is doing great, getting stronger everyday just as she has determined to do.

Miss you! We'll have to find a day to "do lunch."