Thursday, January 07, 2010

The Power of Blog


Moments after I made my last post public I received a phone call from a friend immediately declaring to me "you are not alone, I just want you to know that." This friend lost her dad not to long ago and is well aware of the emotions that go along with a loved one battling cancer. By the end of our conversation I began to feel I could participate in life again. She didn't try to tell me how to feel, or what to do, just listened and shared some of her experiences. Later in the day while I was running some errands I got another phone call on my cell from my dad. He had just read my post and wanted to check in and let me know that I was a good daughter, a great mom, and that the teenager thing is just what they do and don't take it too personal it will change and they'll realize the errors of their attitude when they have kids of their own. In my heart I know that, I was a terror-able teenager myself in the day. Really my teen is a good kid, it's just the senioritis.

I guess it all just caught up to me the other morning. During the week I was taking care of Mom when she first returned home from the hospital I had a sense of purpose, it kept me busy, we actually had a great time hanging together although I wish it were under better circumstances. Then when I got home it all seemed to catch up with me, all the emotions I had set aside. While it is important to stay in tune with your emotions and not bottle them up to either never deal with or deal with later it is important not to get consumed by them. Perspective has become aligned once again and although there are some unfortunate issues to deal with and choices to make I'm ready come what may. Mother and I have always had a rocky relationship but the underlying love has been there none the less. Many times in states of shredded self-esteem she's accused myself and my brother for not putting her higher up on the list of our life priorities. Well, it's go-time now and she is without a doubt my number one priority. I would like to be here to help as much as she'll have me until she returns to her normal independent self; as of now the doctor says she can not drive for at least 6 months. Yesterday she actually went to an aerobics class at the Neighborhood Club which was awesome! Thankfully in Grosse Pointe you can walk to many things that you'd need daily, the Club is a block away, the grocery store a block away, heck the whole village downtown is within a stone's throw; plus she has lots of friends and neighbors that are clamoring to give her whatever aid she needs. As mom seems to say a lot lately...."All is Well." The important thing is I suppose is to count my blessings, look at what I have and not what I don't have, keep believing for something better, for miracles to fall (which truly they do in little ways everyday), and just be ready for anything. I can do this.

3 comments:

MICHELE said...

Hey, that's great that your mom is going to an aerobics class! She has a wonderful attitude and such drive!

Chin up!
Boot straps up!
Keep Moving forward!
Life is an occasion...rise to it!
Keep your sparkle!

Your Pal,
Mich.

Genny said...

Robyne,
I think we all have regrets, regarding our parents, I have many issues, and at times I just wish I could go back in time, and appreciate them and the time I had with them, I could have been more attentive, and been more sympathic, I could have told them more how much they meant to me, I could go on and on, but I still miss them and only hope they really knew how much they meant to me.
And teenagers, well it all comes around eventually, even though at times, you think you will lose your mind. They have to find their own way, and as adults we don't know anything!

Debbie said...

Glad to hear "perspective has become aligned once again". It is fortunate your mother lives in close proximity to a neighborhood club. I think the exercise will be good for her state of mind as well.