Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Crockpot 'o' Happiness

After talking about the challenge of meals w/o oven, my cousin sent me a crockpot recipe which sounded tasty and was simple. It called for canned and frozen items but magically enough I just happen to have all the items fresh! The black beans in the garden are dried so I pulled some to use. I put the beans only in the crockpot with water barely covering them, high temp for about an hour. Monday night I had the kids cut up some tomatoes, onions, red and green peppers for salsa, so there was a big bowl in the fridge. Seasoned just right. Sunday I had bought a rotissery chicken plus made corn on the cob and had leftover of both, we barely put a dent in the chicken since everyone went for the fried option which was also available. While the beans simmered and softened I pulled and cut the bird and knifed the corn off the cob. Added salsa, corn & chicken to beans and a little more water. Left it go on high about 5 hours. Served with rice &/or tortilla chips +grated cheese. Thoroughly enjoyed by all. Thanks Meg!

Not sure exactly how much I used of each ingredient but it was a full pot! And yummy!
Quickie version: 2 cans black beans, 2 jars salsa, 2-3 frozen chicken breasts, frozen corn (eyeball it), cook it on medium all day or high for a few hours.
--
Before delving into the Fiesta Chicken project I took Jake for a walk at the water tower park, not a lot of people on the trail at all. Started out about 11 and got back to the car at 12:15p. He's getting better about walking on the leash we kept up a fairly good pace but I did have to put an end to the 'Sniff Game' a couple times, you know the one where they stop at every new smell and nearly pull your arm out of the socket cause you keep walking and the dog doesn't. Ah, good times. Took a few snaps, I'll post some others later.

No comments: