Sunday, March 31, 2013

iNeed a Break

Outside my Window:  It has been rather dreary the past few weeks with the sun only making minor appearances.  Fortunately in the greenhouse you're in a weather-warp and only realize the chilliness when you're running from house to house.  Snow has melted and the driveway is finally beginning to get back to normal.  The muddy ruts were seriously getting old.


 What's on my Mind: Almost to much to put into words.  Fundraising for the 4H Feeds Families Committee, marketing for the Lapeer County Concert Choir spring concert "Cinema Sinfonia," trying to keep involved in the Wild Lapeer event, revising the animal barn, conducting a virtual schooling experiment with my middle school boys next year, and hoping that the sports schedules don't collide too much.

Thankful for: Hot baths, tequila shots, and Netflix on my Kindle Fire.

Creative Endeavors: Nothing lately, although I did lovingly caress my novel and read through a couple pages this past week.  Really need to get back to editing....... 
Latest Project: Benjamin and I are working on a plan to revise the animal barn.  We did some pricing at TSC to see what things costs retail, and are checking into buying some used equipment.  The goal is to have two areas set up, one for pigs, the other for lambs and we'd like to recycle/reuse materials we already have on the property as much as we can.  He has a budget of $300 to work within.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.

My 3 Sons: Benjamin was selected to go to Space Academy in Alabama this summer, all expenses paid!  One of the teachers has been taking kids to the space camp program, on scholarships collected from donations and fundraisers, for many years.  This year she expanded to include middle schoolers and have 6 students attend.  He, of course is beyond excited, the trip is the same week as 4H camp however so he will not be able to be a day camp counselor this year but worth the trade off.  :)   http://www.spacecamp.com/camp/sa

Ethan's report of 6th grade camp was not very favorable.  This kids acted terribly, there was a lot of quarreling among friends, the classes weren't that great, the food was awful, and nobody slept at night.  Total waste of my money in his opinion.  Got the call from his baseball coach, the first practice will be the second Tuesday in April.  No word on the game schedule or where we'll be playing yet.  This is a 'travel' team so it will all be new to me.

The younger two boys are also venturing into raising meat rabbits and plan to each have a pen of 3 in the auction this year.  We've got 12 on order, half of which will be ready next weekend.

Fox's first track meet was canceled.  So we'll do a restart the Wednesday after the kids get back from Easter break, North Branch is hosting.  He tried for time in the 800m and made a good showing but I've been told the time is not bloggable yet until he gets it down a little more.  He's hoping to run the 800m and 2-mile this year.  I think it would be cool if he got on a relay too but we'll see.  They have a lot of guys to choose from right now but we'll see who makes it through the season.

The first Born:  Finally pain free and feeling much better after battling an infected wisdom tooth.  Investigating extraction options with her funky insurance plan.  Dropped out of choir for now.  Looking into a second job at a place her friend works at.

Employment News: Well, I didn't get the other job I interviewed for.  Still hanging in at the greenhouse but not sure if he'll keep me through retail because I can only work mornings.  There's no way with everything the boys and I do after school and evenings that I can pull it off without losing my ever-loving mind.  So I'm sort of on hold again at the moment.  I can try and pull some sub jobs again while I revamp and figure out what's next.  Honestly I've got enough "work" to do around the house and property and would really rather concentrate on that.  Hoping the new expansion into selling machines at Rob's work will turn into some extra commission checks soon!!


Hoping to Improve: My sustainability factor.  When we first got this property I was huge into gardening, preserving, raising chickens, we also had sheep for years and meat rabbits.  It got to a point where I bottomed out with everything I was doing so I closed down the gardens and haven't done vegetables or fruits in many years, the orchard has been severely neglected and we're not using the land as we should.  I'd really like to get back to the basics like we were when the kids were little.  The boys are all big enough to contribute more and Fox for certain appreciates the concept of healthy food not processed so hopefully this time around we can work more as a team and have an even bigger impact.  This is my dream.

Food for Thought: To feel pleasantly hungry and to satisfy that hunger is a gesture of self-love we can repeat over and over. Hunger is not the villain; it is ignorance and fear of our hunger that lead us astray.  ~Ten Habits of Naturally Slim People

Last Words:

No comments: