Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Jeepers!

Starting out with a hopeful "Spring Mandala" however our weather here in Michigan has not been cooperating. This weekend Rob and I went out to dinner for our anniversary which was not very well timed as a consistent snow fell throughout Saturday evening while we mucked our way to The Melting Pot and back. Good food though. The week was pretty mellow, I worked pulling some video entries, got a few areas organized in the house, took Ben and Fox for haircuts (Fox even got some highlights), fit a couple workouts in, and subbed in the middle school one day.
Friday I picked up the older boys from school at 2:35pm and we stopped by the Thrift Shop before heading over to the elementary school so I could be the Mystery Reader in Ethan's class room and then do baseball sign-up afterward. What did I delightfully spy there?! This fantastic coffee table, in terrific shape, minimal scratches, legs all tight, couldn't pass it up....guess how much....$30, sweet! Ben grabbed a Wheel of Fortune game for $.50 and Fox some jeans and a flannel shirt, $.50 each.



For Ethan's class I read two large Golden Books that I had from my childhood, "The Big Tidy-Up," and "The Pink Elephant with Golden Spots." The kids enjoyed them both; afterward I had some time to chat with Ethan's teacher and several of my 'kid buddies' as they got ready to dismiss for the day. After school we got Ethan signed up for baseball...he'll finally be in kid pitch this year. Plus Fox talked to one of the coordinators about training and working as an umpire. He was told they will be posting a notice about the one-day clinic coming up soon, so be on the lookout. The guy who's in charge is also Fox's track coach, which will be ramping up on the 23rd of this month.
--
Fox has also been putting the final touches on his first Sales Pitch for forensics, selecting New Balance running shoes as his product. He still needs to gather his props together and I purchased a couple pairs of NB shoes off ebay for cheap that he can use and wear.
--
Benjamin is also working on a project, applying to go to Space Camp. He wrote an essay, collected the required three recommendations, and hopefully will make it to step 2, a personal interview; four students will be selected to attend camp in Huntsville, Alabama this summer, on complete scholarship. This is a huge step out of his comfort zone, first off being away from home by himself, and also flying, but he is determined to get there so I hope his efforts are favorable.


After months in a culinary slump I've had a resurge thanks to this fabulous book. I've tried several recipies, some I'd adjust a few things if I made them again but others are terrific as-is. Last night I made the Saucy Skirt Steak with Orange-Spice Sweet Potatoes, used a nice cut of venison backstrap in place of steak and was very pleased with how the sauce turned out with my long-neglected food processor. I've really got to use it more often. Plus I made steamed asparagus with it. Yum!



Alex is enjoying her spring break this week after performing well on all her midterm exams. The boys will have a half-day Thursday and no school Friday due to trimester break. But we'll keep busy helping a friend move into their new house. I leave you with an intriguing concept from the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, the 'Hug Shirt'. Interesting idea but I'd rather get mine the old-fashion way, from the ones I love.











No comments: