Friday, February 28, 2014

Waste Audit



Well, with the weather being the way its been we're off our regular routine. Greatly. This means the recycling has been piling up in the back of the garage. What does our refuse look like after three months? For a family of five basically.




In addition to this we've also generated 4 kitchen trash bags and 2 42lb dog food bags of various other (mostly paper and plastic bags) trash. I'll spare you the photo of that. While I still mostly shop the perimeter when I go for groceries there are certain condiment and staple items that we still purchase. But the worst culprit of refuse is the milk jugs! With four males in the house they easily go through a gallon a day and would go through more if I bought it. Prices going up as they are we may be going on a serious milk fast.

Surveying our accumulation I've been convicted once again to find a way to cut back on our trash generation. This winter I've been baking a lot, making our own sweet goodies for not only the idea of cutting down on packaging but also because of the nutritional benefits of being able to control the amounts of sugars and types of ingredients. The results of this has been a great loosening of all my pants! I am constantly persusing various books from the library on green choices, thrifty suggestions, and healthy/economical foods. My latest favorite is “The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying & Start Making” by Alana Chernila, and found it to be a fantastic resource. Some items are beyond what I would attempt such as graham crackers or bread stix.  Many recipes I've seen before and have put together myself from time to time such as pancake mixes and granolas. Where I need to put more effort into producing my own in bulk or per use is in the area of condiments. Suzanne Sommers had a great recipe in her diet books for ketchup, it's a little time consuming but definitely worth the effort, the flavors are much stronger and natural than the store bought variety.  I haven't attempted it yet, but I've always been curious about making mayonnaise.

Household items are an area that can get out of hand when it comes to packaging and disposal. Paper and plastic products for quick meals and lunches can be a great temptation as well. We try to use cloth as much as possible for napkins, rags, etc. Convienent as they are, believe it or not, paper towels contribute to 3,000 pounds of waste in landfills each day.

So, what's in your garbage?



Still working on a major overhaul of things accumulated around here.  We've seemed to become the donation zone for many, which is cool if you know you're going to use something but it's time to whittle down and make the tough choices, if it's been sitting for five years, time to go.  Just waiting to hit the ground running once all this snow-jazz is over with!

No comments: