Tuesday, November 06, 2012

The Outer Limits

Time has once again gotten away from me since I returned from Italy.  I meant to do one more post about the trip but the excitment as faded since getting back to the normal school routine.  Cross-country season has ended, it was not my favorite year by any stretch.  Adjusting to a new coach was interesting.  Some changes I liked, some changes I didn't.  Thankfully the old coach has a young son who is in Ethan's grade and runs the elementary open races so he was a great encouragement to Ethan in his runs even when I was out of town.  Next year the boys will all run officially on team.  Three galloping Broncos, yeeHaw!
Big brother Fox and Ben get Ethan pumped up for the Marlette Elementary Open race. (above)

High School XC member Fox Parton cheers on Middle School members Austin and brother Ben,
complete with Subway Italian in hand post HS race.  (below)


Fox muscling through at the 2012 Division 2 Regionals. (below) 

20:10 was his finish time, not his seasonal best or all-time best.  Last year at Regionals he squeaked in just under 20 minutes.  Total plateau this year but he's staying in training and looking forward to breakthrough in the 2-mile and 800 meter during Track.

I had a birthday since my last post.  It fell on a Monday but we had a day of fun the Sunday before.  The boys made a delightful brunch then we headed over to Lansing to see an MSU student production of 'James and the Giant Peach' featuring a North Branch High School alumni.  It was a technically savvy production and very well acted.  Afterwards we stopped at the Anthony Hall Dairy Store for cones all around!  It was a gorgeous day for a ride, I just wish my daughter could have accompanied us but was unable to because of her work schedule.  We did get together that Friday though to see Ben Affleck's lastest film 'Argo' about the Iran hostage rescue.  Awesome Flick!

Currently I am engrossed in the challenge of NaNoWriMo also known as National Novel Writing Month.  The challenge is to write a novel or more specifically 50,000 words in 30 days.  I've done the challenge twice before, the first time I won, the second I fizzled out.  So far I've started out like gangbusters, have a solid idea and a plan for it's development which is usually half the battle of writing....anything.  I've also been working on some independent article subbmissions for various family magazines.  AND add in some days of substitute teaching here and there plus preparing for a production of Schoolhouse Rock that I'm directing at the Pix Theater in Lapeer, auditions to be held December 3 and 4.

San Marino Italy, a view of the castle from the fort.
an artist in San Marino
View from the plane heading back to Rome.

What's coming up?  Well, November has been deemed enrichment month by this homeschooler at heart mother.  Last Friday the boys and I went to see a wonderful production about survivors of the Holocaust called "Who Remembered My Soul" put on by the Oxford Communtiy Theater.  This Friday the boys do not have school so we are heading to Midland to tour the Alden B. Dow Home and Studio and his parents home as well that is still full of it's Victorian era designs and furnishings.  Also on the upcoming agenda are a trip to Saginaw, Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum, a 5K Run and 1.5 Mile Run/Walk on Thanksgiving and a 70th Birthday Party for my dad.  Yippee!  Have a Nifty November and don't forget to be creative!

No comments: