Thursday, March 01, 2012

Saved by the Bell

I am happy to report that the homeschool informational meetings I was helping to perpetuate went very well. Thought maybe there'd be a few more people but I know from past experience news will travel fast amongst the homeschool community from those that attended. Many times homeschoolers are not joiners initially but wait to hear what other people have found out or experienced and then follow through for themselves. There were some individuals with very strong opposition to the entire concept but thankfully after hearing the superintendent speak and listening to the responses of his staff that have done extensive research about how to proceed, their attitudes were softened. Most likely they will not participate in what is being offered but I believe they will not publicly continue efforts to derail it. Follow up conversations with the people I've been assisting indicate the more we move forward the more we still need to learn, but I am hopeful things will come together accordingly. The next step will be coordinating an Open House for parents and students to come and demo the various virtual class providers to help them decide which would suit their purposes best.
Ben brought home this "hands-on" project a few weeks ago, the only one I've seen in the upper elementary experience. His was voted "Best in the Class!" Nice job. We found out yesterday that he did not make the cut for the L-CHAMP program which is fine since after reviewing the packet I wasn't convinced that was the way to go for him. In a nutshell those that participate would go one day a week to the Ed-Tech building for intensive Math study which would allow them to complete two years of high school math during their middle school years. Although I will continue encouraging him to work ahead, I don't think he needs to work that far ahead.

Fox just got his paperwork for Track filled out this morning, I signed what I needed to and he'll get it turned in today. Practices will begin March 12th and he is very excited to be getting back on the track! They also just completed their forms for next years class schedule. Things will run a bit differently since they are moving from a 5 block day to a shorter incremented 6 block day. He will be doing AP Prep English 10, AP World History, AP Psychology (don't ask), Accounting, Biology, Algebra II, and for electives hopefully Drafting and Conditioning.


Last Friday was another snow day, fun times, but it is already significantly melted. Tonight Ethan starts a 4-week golf class through the Lapeer Enrichment program and he, Ben and myself will be visiting the Chatfield School Open House for middle school. Looking forward to that.



Moving ahead with my enrichment camps and classes for the end of June. I have made several new contacts and all have been very happy and supportive to be a part of what I'm working to put together which is great and keeps me motivated. Now I need to get busy creating some marketing materials.



Rob is in Germany this week doing training at Schatz AG. The atmosphere there is a total 180 from what he deals with in the US. Everyone is very laid back and friendly, the language barrier can be challenging especially during training sessions but it seems to be going well overall from what he's reported in emails and one relatively short phone call. Hoping to put up some pictures in my next post.



Alex's new routine being back at the ranch has seemed to fall into place rather easily. Assistant Manager training is going well and will be complete mid-month, then she'll begin working out of the Oxford BK. She and her 'guy' are planning to do some campus visits soon. That's my update, hope you're keepin' it real!

No comments: