Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Damn December

I've lived in Michigan all my life and I have never come to like winter. It's flippin' cold but thankfully there isn't much snow and I can only hope there won't be. Praying for a mild winter all around. The boys however are estatic about the white stuff and immediatly went out to try and make snow balls. But I guess I shouldn't complain, Rob is spending the week in Manitoba, Canada on a training and service call.....the shop is way out in the middle of nowhere he said, and its good the guys from the shop have been chauffering him around otherwise he'd be totally lost.

Last weekend I participated in my first concerts with the Lapeer County Community Chorus, the Friday night performance at Hunter's Creek Church had a decent turnout and went well but the Sunday afternoon concert at Trinity United Methodist Church rocked the house! It was packed to the gills, they had people in the choir loft and brought in more chairs to the sanctuary. Everyone sounded great; voices, brass, and our amazing accompanist. I have the utmost respect for our director Garth Starr, I'm really learning (and 'borrowing') a lot from him.

Now I'm in the final throws of the Star of Wonder program which will be ministered next Wednesday and we're finalizing things for our Holiday Program at North Branch Schools. My elementary group has been a delight, the Ruth Fox group has gotten through a lot in a very little time and the middle schoolers are starting to perk up to things as well.

In addition to that Ethan's teacher asked me about helping the class with a holiday skit so I found a cute Reader's Theater script that we ammended a bit to accomodate the whole class and I've been in three times so far to work with them. The 4th graders will be putting on a program next Friday and that's where we'll present "A Crazy Mixed-Up Christmas Tale." The kids have really been getting into it and are coming up with some great ideas for costumes and props. Some have even ventured into using silly Elf voices and Mrs. Claus is just too cute.

Not sure if I had mentioned it before but the Praise & Worship Choir I'm directing at church made the jump from practice room to platform last month. It's a small group at the moment but I'm anticipating more people adding in soon now that they've seen what it really entails during services. Most of my members are on the older side but I'm very proud of them for pushing beyond their comfort zone and am honored to be working with them in this capacity. Make a joyful noise for the Lord, all ye lands!


Comic from Stuff No One Told Me (but I learned anyway).

So, I hope people are getting that my first post of the month title has been a take-off on a Broadway play title. Get it? Damn Yankees, No No Nanette, Oklahoma.....? Oh, whatever. Gotta think of a good theme for next year, any suggestions?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

How's this mild winter treating you so far? LOL Man, this is nasty. I haven't gone outside since Saturday night.

I heard that Lakeville Schools needs subs. My friend works with the sub provider for that district. Just in case you are interested, I thought I would let you know.