Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not exactly what I planned

Much has transpired since my last post, so much I can't possibly review it all and much of it I'd like to forget. But I'll give you the general highlights. We had Alex's Open House/18th Birthday Party which went well over all with a nice turnout of friends and family and only one relatively minor incident that happened late in the evening. Thankfully I had already gone in and gone to bed by then so I only heard about it in the morning, out of respect for the individual I won't provide the gory details but I will say it had nothing to do with any of Alex's friends.

Yesterday Ethan participated in the final 3-hole "just for fun" Jr. Golf Academy Tournament. He said he was a little nervous but he did really well for being one of the youngest in this age group. He scored a 16 on the three holes they played which was the best score out of his 5 player group. He was one over par on the first two holes but botched his drive on the last hole which totally threw him off. Brookwood was a beautiful course and kudos to Mr. Simpson the golf pro who ran this summer's program. He was kind, encouraging, organized and extremely knowledgable. There were many grandpas and dads that helped with the lessons and the tourney and they were all quite helpful as well. For anyone in the area looking for Jr. Golf lessons I highly recommend this program.

One of the not so great things that transpired, although I am doing my best to find the grace to adjust is ..... that Alex dropped a huge bomb on us days before her Open House. She does not want (isn't ready to) attend Grand Valley and instead has opted to stay at home and get some general education credits under her belt at Mott Community College. We are extremely proud of her for getting accepted to GVSU and were heartbroken by the news and the timing of it all. Originally she told us she was going to move to Alpena of all places the get an apartment with a friend (who happens to be a boy) and go to community college. After a family confab with myself, Alex, her father, and grandparents we got to some of the heart of the matter and relented to let her stay in our home and go to Mott but we explained that in no way shape or form would we support the whole Alpena situation. I really was looking forward to having her out of the house and now I need to figure out how to make this work and not be treated like a doormat. Teenagers do not always realize how good they have it and that mom and dad actually do know a thing or two. Apparently my work is not done with her and she's not ready to leave the roost. God give me the grace to see this through.


So it goes without saying I feel like I've been through the fire and really got burned. It's not so much that she changed things up but how she went about presenting it. Financially it will certainly be easier on us paying community college prices, when I called GVSU to defer her enrollment they said her application will stay on file for two years and she can transfer in at anytime. As long as the class is called the same as theirs it will transfer. Alex assures me she still wants to finish a four-year degree and eventually get there but she's not ready now. All that's fine and well but she'll need to follow the rules of the house, something teenagers are not always willing to do. Honestly I'm not looking forward to what's ahead, I know there will be some head butting going on but I'm willing to try. Any prayers for this situation would be greatly appreciated.
--
This week Ben is doing soccer camp in North Branch and having a great time. We should be getting a call from his AYSO coach any day now and start in the swing of practices for the fall season, which is always a good time. Ben and Ethan also attended VBS at our church this week and I helped as a group leader which was about all I could handle. It was nice not to be in charge as I have been in the past.

I am really looking forward to getting started into the new school year and I know the boys are too but will certainly continue to enjoy their last few weeks of summer. This year in addition to subbing I am planning on volunteering to run a vocal music program after school at the lower elementary and the middle school and during choice time on Fridays at the upper elementary. Plus, for myself I'm going to sing with the Lapeer Community Chorus which meets on Monday evenings at Trinity Methodist Church in Lapeer. Even if it feels like my life is being pulled apart I will continue to make a joyful noise and praise Him through the storm. Peace, out.

No comments: